SYSTRA is an international engineering and consultancy group specialising in Mass Transit and Rail. As a subsidiary of SYSTRA, SYSTRA Ltd provides rail engineering and transport planning consultancy in the UK. We work with our clients to find innovative solutions to complex issues concerning the location and movement of people, goods and services. We are dedicated to delivering excellence to our clients through our entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm whilst promoting a culture of listening, teamwork and employee empowerment.
With ambitious growth plans, this is an exciting time to join SYSTRA Ltd as we continue to develop and raise our profile in the UK.
We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Track Engineer to join our growing engineering team in Manchester. Focussing on rail markets in the North of the UK, the post-holder will be part of a growing team of UK engineers delivering projects for a diverse portfolio of UK clients.
The Senior Track Engineer will be accountable for the design delivery of allocated track design packages, ensuring:
- Delivery of all the specified project outcomes on time, within budget and to the client’s specifications
- Project requirements and are fully met
- Technically sound design solutions are produced, including all associated reporting and cost estimating, to programme and within budget
- Compliance with all relevant technical standards.
- Advice and guidance is provided for staff, and professional development is actively pursued
- Good relationships are maintained with all external parties to enhance the reputation of the company
- Adopt a cost effective, high quality, safe and environmentally responsible approach to design, construction, commissioning and other technical activities on relevant projects, compliant with all relevant legislation.
- Undertake the role of designer or checker on allocated projects
- Develop design deliverables (drawings, reports, specifications) in accordance with appropriate Railway Group and Network Rail Company standards
- Liaise with construction teams to ensure designs are buildable and represent value for money
- Develop and maintain hazard / risk registers for allocated design packages.
- Liaise with wider track team to ensure consistency and quality of deliverables across all projects.
- Supervise and mentor junior members of team
- Advise project and programme management in respect of all design activities, progress and resource requirements
- Implement effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements
- Maintain high technical standards, consistent with the project brief
- Prepare and check engineering designs, calculations, and oversee drawing production
- Prepare and check contract documents and scheme cost estimates
- Prepare and check technical documents and reports and assist in the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders
- Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM Regulations
- Develop a strong focused client relationship
- Assist with contract preparation together with project planning and programming
- Inspection work, feasibility studies, cost estimating for works and fees
- Effective management and response of project related correspondence
- Undertake site supervision duties of contractors and when required
- Checks to ensure compliance with the Integrated Management System and assist in its development
Your experience should include:
- Experience in Plain Line/ Switches and Crossing design and checking
- Understanding of Track support systems
- Understanding of designer responsibilities in relation to Health and Safety legislation and CDM
- Understanding of multi-disciplinary projects and how other disciplines interface with the Permanent Way design.
- Track bed design experience
- Co-ordination between multi-disciplinary global design resources
Your skills should include:
- Good command of written and spoken English and have the ability to lead engineers.
- Supervision and / or mentoring of junior team members
- Computer literate.
- Experienced in the use of Microstation CAD software package and P Way design software (MX Rail, Bentley Rail Track, InRail, ClearRoute etc).
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to produce Engineering designs and associated reports.
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety Legislation and CDM Regulations
- High personal standards
- Permanent Way condition reports
- Derailment investigations
In return, we offer a competitive basic salary with a comprehensive and attractive benefits package.