SYSTRA is an international engineering and consultancy group specialising in Mass Transit and Rail. As a subsidiary of SYSTRA, SYSTRA Ltd provides rail engineering and transport planning consultancy in the UK. We work with our clients to find innovative solutions to complex issues concerning the location and movement of people, goods and services. We are dedicated to delivering excellence to our clients through our entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm whilst promoting a culture of listening, teamwork and employee empowerment.
With ambitious growth plans, this is an exciting time to join SYSTRA Ltd as we continue to develop and raise our profile in the UK.
We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Track Engineer to join our growing engineering team in Manchester. Focussing on conventional rail markets in the North of the UK, the post-holder will be part of a growing team of UK engineers delivering projects for a diverse portfolio of UK clients.
The Principal Track Engineer will be accountable for the delivery of the specified project outcomes on time, within budget and to the client’s specifications. Leading a team to develop technically sound design solutions, including all associated reporting and ensuring that project requirements are fully met, whilst complying with all relevant technical standards. Provision of advice and guidance to the track design team whilst pursuing personal professional development and that of the team. In this client facing role the successful candidate will be required to develop new and enhance existing relationships with external parties to enhance the reputation of the company.
- Implement systems and procedures to maintain a cost effective, high quality, safe and environmentally responsible approach to design, construction, commissioning and other technical activities on relevant projects, compliant with all relevant legislation. Liaise with stakeholders and others as appropriate.
- Monitor the competence of Engineers working on projects within the functional discipline and provide functional guidance, direction and briefing.
- Apply engineering controls and procedures to all projects and check whether all design and construction contracts include reference to appropriate Railway Group and Network Rail Company standards applicable to their discipline.
- Apply relevant techniques and procedures of quantified and qualitative risk assessment and HAZOP analysis to all projects and check whether the environmental aspects of all projects are managed in accordance with Environmental Policy.
- Advise project and programme management in respect of all construction activities, testing and commissioning, and site supervision. Monitor whether the design and construction elements meet the requirements of legislation, including construction design management (CDM) regulations.
- Develop effective concept and detailed design solutions that are consistent with the project brief
- Undertake a wide range of design work on all aspects through design, implementation and maintenance
- Implement effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements
- Maintain high technical standards, consistent with the project brief
- Liaise with clients and ensure their requirements are effectively communicated across the glbal design teams
- Prepare and check engineering designs, calculations, and oversee drawing production
- Prepare and check contract documents and scheme cost estimates
- Prepare and check technical documents and reports and assist in the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders
- Supervise team members including all engineers, senior engineers, senior technicians and assistant and graduate engineers
- Assist with contract preparation together with project planning and programming
- Project administration reporting to the Project Manager including monitoring programme delivery, resources and budgets
- Inspection work, feasibility studies, cost estimating for works and fees
- Effective management and response of project related correspondence
- Undertake site supervision duties of contractors and when required
- Checks to ensure compliance with the Integrated Management System and assist in its development
Your experience should include:
- Team management and development
- Significant ability in Plain Line/ Switches and Crossing design, checking and approvals.
- Experience of Track support systems
- Good command of written and spoken English and have the ability to lead and develop engineers.
- Experienced railway engineer with appreciation of all associated disciplines. Have ability explain relationships between disciplines and how these interface with the Permanent Way design
- Development and approvals of innovative track solutions
- Track bed design experience
Your skills should include:
- Computer literate.
- Experienced in the use of Microstation CAD software package and P Way design software (MX Rail, Bentley Rail Track, InRail, ClearRoute etc).
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to produce Engineering designs and associated reports.
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety Legislation and CDM Regulations
- High personal standards
- Rail wheel interface modelling
- Bespoke / complex switches and crossing designs
- Permanent Way condition reports
- Derailment investigations
In return, we offer a competitive basic salary with a comprehensive and attractive benefits package.