SYSTRA is an international engineering and consultancy group specialising in Mass Transit and Rail. As a subsidiary of SYSTRA, SYSTRA Ltd provides rail engineering and transport planning consultancy in the UK. We work with our clients to find innovative solutions to complex issues concerning the location and movement of people, goods and services. We are dedicated to delivering excellence to our clients through our entrepreneurial spirit and enthusiasm whilst promoting a culture of listening, teamwork and employee empowerment.
With ambitious growth plans, this is an exciting time to join SYSTRA Ltd as we continue to develop and raise our profile in the UK.
We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Civil Engineer to join our growing engineering team in Manchester. Focussing on conventional rail markets in the North of the UK, the post-holder will be part of a growing team of UK engineers delivering projects for a diverse portfolio of UK clients.
The Principal Civil Engineer will be accountable for the delivery of allocated civil engineering design packages and ensuring:
- Delivery of all the specified project outcomes on time, within budget and to the client’s specifications
- Project requirements are fully met
- Technically sound design solutions are produced, including all associated reporting and cost estimating, to programme and within budget
- Compliance with all relevant technical standards.
- Advice and guidance is provided for staff, and professional development is actively pursued
- Good relationships are maintained with all external parties to enhance the reputation of the company
- Implement systems and procedures to maintain a cost effective, high quality, safe and environmentally responsible approach to design, construction, commissioning and other technical activities on relevant projects, compliant with all relevant legislation
- Monitor the competence of Engineers working on projects within the functional discipline and provide functional guidance, direction and briefing.
- Apply engineering controls and procedures to all projects and check whether all design and construction contracts include reference to appropriate Railway Group and Network Rail Company standards applicable to their discipline.
- Apply relevant techniques and procedures of quantified and qualitative risk assessment and HAZOP analysis to all projects and check whether the environmental aspects of all projects are managed in accordance with Environmental Policy.
- Advise project and programme management in respect of all construction activities, testing and commissioning, and site supervision. Monitor whether the design and construction elements meet the requirements of legislation, including construction design management (CDM) regulations.
- Develop effective concept and detailed design solutions that are consistent with the project brief
- Undertake a wide range of design work on all aspects of the functions design, implementation, and maintenance
- Implement effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements
- Progress projects through preliminary and detailed design with emphasis on client requirements, value for money and innovation
- Liaise with clients and ensure their requirements are effectively communicated to the team
- Prepare and check engineering designs, calculations, and oversee drawing production
- Prepare and check contract documents and scheme cost estimates
- Prepare and check technical documents and reports and assist in the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders
- Supervise team members including all engineers, senior engineers, senior technicians and assistant and graduate engineers
- Maintain a strong focused client relationship
- Assist with contract preparation together with project planning and programming
- Project administration reporting to the Project Manager including monitoring programme delivery, resources and budgets
- Inspection work, feasibility studies, cost estimating for works and fees
- Effective management of and response to project related correspondence
- Undertake site supervision duties of contractors as and when required
- Checks to ensure compliance with the Integrated Management System and assist in its development
Your experience should include:
- Extensive experienced based skills in civil engineering within major infrastructure projects
- Team management and development
- Significant ability in bridges, tunnels and lineside infrastructure design, checking and approvals.
- Previous acceptance by Network Rail as CRE / CEM
- Co-ordination of multi-disciplinary design inputs from global design teams on major infrastructure projects
- Development and approvals of innovative civil engineering solutions
- Major rail electrification project experience
Your skills should include:
- Good command of written and spoken English and have the ability to lead and develop engineers.
- Computer literate.
- Experienced in the use of civil / structural software design packages
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to produce Engineering designs and associated reports.
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety Legislation and CDM Regulations
- High personal standards
- Business Development and client management
In return, we offer a competitive basic salary with a comprehensive and attractive benefits package.