Public Transport Modelling
Public Transport (PT) models represent the demand and services for public transport to analyse and predict:
- public transport routes that passengers will use
- how crowding on buses, trains and trams impact on travellers’ choices
- impacts of fare strategies and pricing on ridership and revenue
- benefits of improving walking routes to public transport stops and stations
- impacts of improving the experience of passengers such as service frequency, the comfort of waiting areas, cleanliness of vehicles and stations, etc.
Applications of PT models include:
- service planning and optimisation
- planning for new land use developments
- developing urban transport strategies
- designing new public transport services
- assessing and optimising fare options
- business cases, including economic and financial assessments
- environmental assessments.
In recent years SYSTRA have worked hard on innovation in this sector to make public transport modelling more efficient and accurate including developing tools to import big data sources including ticket sales and service timetables.
Our experts are skilled in all major PT modelling software packages including CUBE, EMME and VISUM. We commonly integrate PT, road, active travel and variable demand modelling to provide a full and robust representation of transport choices and provision. We offer integrated solutions to our clients including application of models to support our public transport operations and planning experts.