TFW ‘Tap On, Tap Off’ Research
Transport for Wales (TfW) have commissioned SYSTRA to undertake research to understand the public’s views and behaviour following the launch of Arriva Bus’ Tap On, Tap Off (TOTO) Ticketing Product in North Wales.
The research will take a multi-method data collection approach, comprising an online survey and a short face to face survey at bus stop approach. This research will improve understanding of:
- frequency of bus use;
- awareness of TOTO; and
- use of TOTO and the impacts it has on bus journey frequency and satisfaction.
The research will help inform TfW’s development of a multi-operator TOTO initiative.
- SYSTRA, alongside partners Teamsearch, have been commissioned by TfW to undertake this research;
- SYSTRA, Teamsearch and TfW are committed to making sure that we tell you about the ways in which we use your personal information and that we have the right controls in place to make sure it is used responsibly and kept safe from inappropriate access, theft, or misuse.
- We are providing you with this notice so you know what data we are collecting from you as part of this research study; what we are going to do with it; and your rights over our use of your personal data.
Your personal data
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), and associated legislation including but not limited to the Data Protection Act 2018.
Who are we?
- TfW and SYSTRA are joint Data Controller. This means both TfW and SYSTRA have decided how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
- SYSTRA is also responsible for collecting and processing your personal data. SYSTRA are Cyber Essentials accredited.
- Teamsearch are sub-Data Processor and will only collect and process your personal data on instruction from SYSTRA. Teamsearch are Cyber Essentials and ISO20252 accredited.
What information is being collected?
The research has two different approaches:
1) An online quantitative survey; and
2) A face to face quantitative survey.
Both surveys will follow the same structure, and will ask questions on:
- frequency of bus use;
- awareness of TOTO;
- use of TOTO and the impacts it has on bus journey frequency and satisfaction;
- demographic information including age, gender, working status, disability, ethnicity, household composition, and area of residence; and
- prize draw opt-in (name, email, telephone number).
The face to face survey will also ask you questions on Covid-19 symptoms, in order to ensure interviewers are not at risk of exposure.
The prize draw offers five chances of winning £100 in high street shopping vouchers as an incentive to participate, with the following contact details collected to ensure winners can be informed: name; telephone number; email address. Questions capturing these details are optional. More detail on the prize draw can be found below.
Any contact details obtained for this research will not be provided to SYSTRA or TfW or Arriva, nor linked to survey responses.
How is it collected?
Both the face to face and online survey collection is completed via Askia survey software. Askia is a secure software survey platform used for data collection. All data is retained in the UK. Askia’s agreement with Teamsearch can be found below:
Why is it being collected?
- Our lawful basis for processing under GDPR is:
- GDPR Article 6(1)(f): the processing is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party, unless there is a good reason to protect individuals’ personal data which overrides those legitimate interests.
- We also rely on your Consent to hold your personal data. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
- Our legitimate interest assessment is as follows:
- Purpose test: Broader societal benefit from understanding views toward TOTO product and bus travel in Wales generally;
- Necessity test: Require demographic details to understand differences between different groups of people. Require contact details for those opting into prize draw to incentivise participation. All participants providing contact details will provide consent to do so;
- Balance test: Processing will not cause unjustified harm and contact details will only be used for the purposes of contacting individuals about the research. All individual rights relevant to processing will apply, meaning individuals have the right to withdraw, erasure, rectification and objection to processing.
How will it be used?
- TfW, SYSTRA and Teamsearch comply with their obligations under the GDPR by: keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
- All personal data held as part of this project is encrypted with a secure password and access restricted to only those working on the project.
- Your data will be analysed anonymously with all other participant data. SYSTRA will report the findings of the research to TfW. No individual will be made identifiable during reporting.
Who will it be shared with?
- Data will be collected and stored in the United Kingdom.
- Any Covid-19 symptom data and contact details obtained by Teamsearch during data collection, will not be provided to SYSTRA or TfW or Arriva, nor linked to your survey responses.
- SYSTRA will share anonymised data with TfW and Arriva at the end of the research, and no other third party. This will not contain any personal or contact information.
- Reports will not contain any personal data.
How long do we keep your personal data?
- We keep your personal data for no longer than reasonably necessary. For stage 2 of this research, your data will be kept until 30th July 2023. After this, all personal data will be destroyed.
Your rights and your personal data
You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which SYSTRA holds about you;
- The right to request that SYSTRA corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for SYSTRA to retain such data;
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time;
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data; and
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
If you would like:
- Any more information about the research study, or our use of your data;
- To request to see the personal data held on you;
- To request to withdraw your personal data; or
- To exercise any other of the rights listed above:
Please contact the SYSTRA research manager, Emma Salter, firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to find out more about SYSTRA’s data protection processes or contact their Data Protection Officer, please contact SYSTRA’s UK Compliance Team at UK_compliance@systra.com.
To find out more about TfW’s compliance with data protection please click on the following links to review their data protection notices: Privacy Statement
To find out more about Teamsearch’s compliance with data protection please click on the following links to review their data protection notices: https://www.teamsearchmr.co.uk/gdpr
If you have any concerns or questions about data protection or your rights you can also contact the Information Commissioners Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email or at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
PRIZE DRAW TERMS
This competition, without obligation to purchase, is organised by SYSTRA Ltd (SYSTRA), hereinafter referred to as the “Organiser”. Participation in the competition constitutes an unconditional acceptance of the provisions of these rules and of any decision to be made by the Organiser in connection with this competition.
Who can participate?
a. Conditions of Participation
Entry into the competition is permitted for all those who complete the ‘Tap On, Tap Off’ research survey. Entrants must complete and submit the survey no later than noon on 17th June 2022. Participants are not allowed to submit more than one survey. Only one entry per participant is allowed. All entrants must be aged 18 or over.
b. Ineligible to participate
Employees of the Organiser and their immediate family members are ineligible to participate. Any participant who does not fully comply with these rules will be ineligible for consideration in the prize draw. If the Organiser notifies a participant that they have won a prize but subsequently discovers that the participant has breached these rules, the participant will automatically forfeit their prize, without compensation and without any right of recourse.
This competition runs from 23rd May 2022 to noon on 17th June 2022. This period may be extended, interrupted or discontinued by the Organiser at any time.
There are five prizes to be won. Each prize is a £100 high-street shopping voucher.
b. Recording prize
Prize winners will be notified by e-mail or phone by 1st July 2022.
c. Non-transferability or sale of the prize
Each prize shall be strictly in the name of the winning participant, and cannot be transferred to any other person or sold. The prizes cannot be exchanged for a cash equivalent. It is strictly prohibited to offer the prize for sale on internet auction sites. The Organiser has the right to withdraw the prize without any compensation or recompense for any participant who has been found to be in breach of these rules. If a winning participant is disqualified due to a breach of these rules, their prize shall be withdrawn. The decision as to whether a participant has breached these rules is at the sole discretion of the Organiser.
Announcement of winners
The five winners will be chosen randomly, no later than 1st July 2022.
The Organiser reserves the right to modify, postpone, shorten or withdraw the competition or any part of it at any time. If any provision of these competition rules should be void and/or unenforceable, this shall in no way affect the validity of the remaining provisions or these rules. The Organiser will replace the invalid provision with a valid provision that corresponds as much as legally possible to the spirit and content of the original provision. The Organiser cannot be held liable for any disadvantage that might result from technical problems which prevent the participant from completing or submitting the survey.
In cases of abuse, deception or fraud, the Organiser expressly reserves the right to exclude any participant from entry into this and/or any other competitions.
These rules are available from a link within the survey. All additional publications in connection with the competition shall be considered clarifications, unless clearly provided otherwise. All decisions made by the Organiser in connection with this competition are final and irrevocable.
The vouchers are subject to and must be used in accordance with the terms and conditions of the issuer. The Organiser shall have no responsibility or liability for the prizes once awarded.
Any complaints regarding the competition can be reported to the Organiser’s registered address, after which the Organiser will contact the participant to attempt to resolve the dispute. No correspondence will be entered into on other aspects of the competition.
Applicable law and competent courts
This agreement is governed by English and Welsh law. Any dispute regarding the competition and/or these rules must first be submitted to the Organiser. The courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these rules.