East Midlands Gateway Model
The East Midlands Gateway Model was developed by SYSTRA in 2017to provide a replacement for the Derby and Nottingham Transport Models which were also created by SYSTRA. The model covers a significant area of the East Midlands including the core catchment areas of the cities of Derby and Nottingham and the northern parts of Leicestershire.
The Gateway modelling suite is a multimodal transport model built following the guidance in TAG comprising of the following elements:
- SATURN Highway Model - incorporating all strategic and local through traffic routes and simulation of junction capacities
- CUBE Voyager Public Transport Model - Rail, Bus, NET and High Speed Rail modes
- Cube Variable Demand Model - including destination, mode choice, trip frequency and time of day responses predicted the changes in travel characteristics resulting from changes to transport conditions; and,
- Park and Ride Model – including Rail, LRT and Bus based P&R sites
- TRICs based Trip End Model - allows all significant developments to be individually modelled with growth toped up to Tempro levels.
Projects undertaken by SYSTRA using the East Midlands Gateway Model include;
- East Midlands Gateway Study – development of a multi-modal transport strategy aimed at maximising the growth potential arising from the arrival of HS2 in the East Midlands
- Derby and Nottingham Transforming Cities Bid – modelling and economics for the successful £160 million funding application for a range of transport schemes including park and ride sites, rapid transit, bus priority, cycle and pedestrian schemes.
- Nottingham Express Transit (NET) Phase 3 Business Case – development of a Strategic Outline Business Case for three extensions of the NET system
- South Derby Levelling Up Fund – the preparation of a successful £50million Levelling Up fund business case and carbon assessments for a new junction on the A50 trunk road to enable a major employment/residential development to the south of Derby.
- Carbon Strategy Assessment – identification of the baseline transport carbon emissions of Nottingham City
- Local Plan Assessments – assessment of the transport impacts of Local Plan development proposals and identification of multi-modal mitigation strategies.
- Major Development Appraisals – The assessment of the impacts of major housing and employment sites.