Bradford Interchange Gateway Development Plan
SYSTRA, in collaboration with BDP, MACE and GVA, were commissioned in 2016 to produce a Gateway Development Masterplan for Bradford Interchange and the surrounding city area.
The Masterplan aims to deliver:
- A high quality, multi-modal gateway station fit for a major city centre in the 21st Century that will attract investment in regeneration initiatives within the plan area and wider city
- New and exciting development opportunities for suitable city centre uses
- A highly visible, high impact, fully integrated point of entry into the city that provides the appropriate passenger experience and sense of arrival for a station and a city of this size
- A station environment which is robust and enduring with a design which minimises maintenance requirements both in terms of day- to-day upkeep and future liabilities
- Improved connectivity between different transport modes: pedestrian, bus, train, coach, taxi, airport and car parks
- An Outline Business Case that will support funding bids
- Proposals developed in full consultation with the City of Bradford MDC and the West Yorkshire Combined Authority
A number of Options for improvements to the Interchange were considered and tested against national and local policies, in particular those relating to bus and rail provision and patronage.
Access via all transport modes was assessed with weaknesses and opportunities for improvement identified. The resultant preferred option is presented in the Masterplan through a series of short,
medium and long term interventions, that will allow the benefits and economic uplift of the improved Interchange facility to gradually fan out into the wider city area and nearby regeneration areas.
The Masterplan also identifies potential funding sources and sets out a funding strategy to support delivery of the Masterplan interventions. The document is supported by a robust Outline Business Case that explores the wider economic benefits of investing in the Interchange Zone, creating a strong setting for the facility and surrounding regeneration areas.